- Yorkshire legend and Chief Executive of Welcome to Yorkshire, Sir Gary Verity, took time out of his busy schedule to visit Otley where one of the town’s famous pubs is being named after him for Yorkshire Day.
- Legendary cricketing umpire Dickie Bird to visit the Otley Tavern this Saturday as part of the celebrations
Otley Pub Club, Otley’s community led organisation supporting the town’s pubs, are renaming all 21 of the town’s pubs after Yorkshire Celebrities on Yorkshire Day 2018 (August 1) and the Black Horse Hotel will be the Sir Gary Verity for the day!
For this year’s pub renaming, local people were invited to nominate their favourite Yorkshire celebrities and heroes and names include Hollywood names like Dame Judi Dench and Sean Bean as well as local sporting celebrities Lizzie Deignan and the Brownlee Brothers, plus famous Yorkshire men and women such as Alan Bennett, Nicola Adams, and the new Doctor Who, Jodie Whittaker. Pubs were allocated their celebrity and temporary name in a draw on Yorkshire Day last year performed by legendary comedian Charlie Chuck, who was Uncle Peter in The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer.
Some celebrities have said they will try to visit on the day, others have sent or are sending a piece of memorabilia or a message to the pub in question. Hannah Cockroft is visiting the Junction on Yorkshire Day itself.
Dickie Bird is visiting the Otley Tavern on Saturday 28th July, the weekend before Yorkshire Day. The Brownlee Brothers have said they will try to pop into Whitakers. Alan Bennett sent a message on a postcard with a line drawing self-portrait and Dame Judi Dench sent a personal email congratulating Otley Pub Club on the intiative! Local cycling hero Lizzie Deignan, an Otley lass herself, might not make it with it being close to the birth of her first child and has sent signed cycling shirt for the Royalty.
Sir Gary Verity DL, Chief Executive of Welcome to Yorkshire said: “The Black Horse has a magnificent atmosphere and serves a great pint so I’m touched that it’s being named after me for Yorkshire Day, a wonderful celebration of all things Yorkshire.”
Matt Hardin, Chair of Otley Pub Club said: “It was great to have Gary drop in for a pint and support the special Yorkshire Day renaming of all the town’s pubs. It keeps alive the tradition of renaming Otley’s famous pubs for the day and we hope will encourage even more people to come to Otley to visit the town and its pubs”.
Marie Wright of the Black Horse Hotel said: “It was a real honour to have Sir Gary pop in for a pint and we’re delighted that we’re going to be the Sir Gary Verity for the day on Yorkshire Day. I hope everyone will come to Otley on the day and enjoy visiting the town with all the pubs called after well-known Yorkshire folk!”.
The full list of Yorkshire names to be matched with a pub is:
• The Alan Bennett – The Cross Pipes
• The Anita Rani – Stew & Oyster
• The Corinne Bailey Rae – The White Swan
• Angela Griffin –The Bay Horse
• The Dickie Bird OBE – The Otley Tavern
• Dynamo – The Roebuck
• The Sir Gary Verity – The Black Horse
• The Hannah Cockroft – The Junction
• The Ian McMillan – Rose and Crown
• The Jarvis Cocker – Manor House
• The Jimi Mistry – The Old Cock
• The Jodie Whittaker – The Black Bull
• The Ralph Ineson – Otley Tap House
• The Dame Judi Dench CH – Horse and Farrier
• The Kadeena Cox MBE – North Bar Social
• The Lizzie Deignan – The Royalty
• The Michael Palin CBE – The Bowling Green
• The Nicola Adams OBE – Red Lion
• The Sean Bean – The Fleece
• Ricky Wilson -The Yew Tree
• The Brownlee Brothers – Whitakers